Monday, January 4, 2010

Writing Assignment #1

Mathematics is an interesting subject. It is so set, yet so mysterious, due to limited information. I think we can define mathematics, as the numerical system that makes the earth work. It provides us with the information on how fast things move, or how to build a bridge. It lays the foundation for science.

I have found that I best learn mathematics in a structured environment. The more instruction and direction a teacher gives, the better I do. For me this works, because I get less distracted and more focused on the tasks to complete. Plus, I know what the teacher expects of me. It gets me more into the class and I feel the class is more well behaved also, so there are more opportunities for the teacher to explain concepts and not have to control the class behavior.

I really don't know how my students will learn the best. I think it really depends on what type of class you have. I like to have structure, but students can get intimidated with too much and not feel comfortable asking the teacher for help. I do want to have a lot of structure when I teach, but if that doesn't work for my students, then I will probably change to help them learn the best way they can.

Previously I was an intern at a jr. high and I was able to really observe the teacher. I found that the best ways the students learned the concepts and were more apt to learning them, was if we could tie the concept to a real life situation. If the students understood why they would be needing the information later in life, they liked to learn it. Hands on activities were also big factors in helping them get excited. If they knew they were going outside to measure something or just observing objects, they got excited and wanted to learn more. If I was the student, I would want to know why something worked or why I needed the info and so I understand where they are coming from. Plus field trips and so much fun.

I think that one of the worst practices in school is teaching the students that what they learn right now, will not matter later on in life. In all reality it may not, but a lot of times, the students pick up on those things and decided not to learn other things because it "won't matter". I think it is important for the teacher to emphasize that all the concepts the students learn will matter and it is important to learn them.

6 comments:

  1. I like what you have said so far, but I find that I think a little differently that you. I think structure is great in a classroom. Most of the time it makes a student feel safe because they are being guided. Now, for you or I, we use that structure enough to help us learn what we need to know so we can do similar problems like were done in class on our own. This is good, but there are some students who like a stuctured classroom so much that they develope a dependency on it. Meaning that they never quite learn how to do the problems without someone by their side, helping them a long the way; pointing them in the righ direction. So it would seem that a teacher can't rely solely on stucture. What I'm really trying to get at is, I want you to think about what you will use so that students are so dependent on you. The less dependent they are on you, the more they are able to think for themselves. Thus, when they are a given a more difficult problem, some will actually be able to figure it out rather than waiting for you to guide them through it. Not saying your wrong, just bringing up something for you to think more about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that being in a structured environment helps our focus because there are deadlines due dates. It creates pressure to get it done! But sometimes its too overwhelming to do all that we need to in a certain amount of time. Perhaps all that pressure sometimes pushes us to simply DO the assignment rather than learn from it. Im just saying what Ive experienced in structured environments. So this is just what works best for me in that situation. For me, the best way to learn is when I am in a relaxed enviroment.I have found that studying on saturdays and on vacations, when there is no deadline and due date. It takes off the pressure to just get it done and I can study relaxed. Not trying to say youre wrong at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that having hands on learning experiences and real life situations to relate math problems too really enforce what you are lecturing to the students. Kids have been taught most their life to sit still at their desk and pay attention when so many students, the majority i'd dare say, are kinesthetic learners. Hands on learners. And such activities as you described do increase motivation in the classroom when they do need to sit. and I don't think most teachers don't want to teach their students that the math they are learning is important but that maybe they don't know how to convince their students that math is important and they don't want to appear weak and unknowledgeable to their students by answering a question such as, "why is this important, why do I need to learn it?" Hopefully we will graduate with a good enough understanding to affectively excite students as we truthfully answer there questions like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you mentioned hands-on learning experiences. I wholly agree that students have a greater desire to learn mathematical concepts when they can see the application of them. Students actually become excited when they want to learn, and when they get to apply what they learn in some form.
    I feel that your definition of math was lacking a little bit though. I think you could have stated that mathematics is the numerical study of how the earth works, rather than stating that it is the numerical system that makes the earth work. I feel it sounds like you are saying that math is what makes the world work, which may not be completely true.

    I really enjoyed your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand the way you learn math because that is how I learn math the best too! I agree that I will be tempted to teach math like that as well because I feel like that is what works best for me, but I as you mentioned, I will have to be careful to teach to the students in the way that they need. I also agree with how math is so set, yet so mysterious as well. I definitely feel that!
    You mentioned that you are not sure how students learn best, but you also mentioned good teaching practices that you have encountered in your experience. Perhaps you could use some of those good practices you have seen to deduce how a general group of students might learn best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does math always involve numbers?
    As a teacher, how can you build the correct environment that is so vital for students?
    I agree that it is easier for students to learn something if they feel it has value in their life. For students that won't use the math later in life, why is it important for them to learn it? What value does it have for them?

    ReplyDelete